A Comparative Analysis of Time Series Models for Onion Price Forecasting: Insights for Agricultural Economics

Vinay H T *

Department of Agricultural Statistics, Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Cooch Behar-736165, West Bengal, India.

Pavithra V

Department of Agricultural Statistics, Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Cooch Behar-736165, West Bengal, India.

Jagadeesh M S

Division of Agricultural Economics, ICAR-Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi-110012, India.

G. Avinash

ICAR-Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute, New Delhi-110012, India.

Harish Nayak G H

ICAR-Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute, New Delhi-110012, India.

*Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.


Abstract

Onion price forecasting plays a critical role in agricultural planning, market stability, and consumer welfare. By predicting onion prices, stakeholders can make informed decisions regarding planting, harvesting, trading, and consumption, mitigating risks and ensuring sustainable supply chains. The present study aims to forecast monthly wholesale onion prices in Bangalore market by using various statistical techniques like Exponential Smoothing, ARIMA, SARIMA, BATS and TBATS models. The time series price data from January 2010 to December 2023 was utilized for the study. Models were trained on 80% of the data and validated on the remaining 20%. The performance of each model was compared based on the two metrics like Root Mean Square Error (RMSE) and Mean Absolute Percentage Error (MAPE). Results revealed that the TBATS model was performing better as compared to other six models with less RMSE of 281.30 and MAPE of 0.1544 Additionally, the residuals of the TBATS model exhibited a random distribution. Therefore, the onion prices for January 2024 to December 2024 were forecasted using the TBATS model.

Keywords: Forecasting, ARIMA, SARIMA, BATS, TBATS


How to Cite

Vinay H T, Pavithra V, Jagadeesh M S, Avinash, G., & Harish Nayak G H. (2024). A Comparative Analysis of Time Series Models for Onion Price Forecasting: Insights for Agricultural Economics. Journal of Experimental Agriculture International, 46(5), 146–154. https://doi.org/10.9734/jeai/2024/v46i52365

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

References

Sinha K, Panwar S, Alam W, Singh KN, Gurung B, Paul RK, Mukherjee A. Price volatility spillover of Indian onion markets: A comparative study. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 88(1):114-20.

Statistics A. Statistics at a Glance. Statistics Division, Directorate of Economics & Statistics, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India; 2023.

Sahinli MA. Potato price forecasting with Holt-Winters and ARIMA methods: A case study. American Journal of Potato Research. 2020;97(4):336-46.

Kozuch A, Cywicka D, Adamowicz K. A Comparison of Artificial Neural Network and Time Series Models for Timber Price Forecasting. Forests. 2023;14(2):177.

Areef M, Rajeswari S, Vani N, Naidu GM. Forecasting of onion prices in Bangalore market: An application of time series models. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 2020;75(2):217-27.

Suresha HP, Mutturaj U, Krishna KT. Indian Commodity Market Price Comparative Study of Forecasting Methods-A Case Study on Onion, Potato and Tomato. Asian J. Res. Comput. Sci. 2021;12:147-59.

Beniwal A, Poolsingh D, Shastry SS. Trends and Price Behaviour Analysis of Onion in India. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 2022;77(4):632-42.

Kumar S, Kumar M. Forecasting of onion price in Patna district through Arima model. Environment and Ecology 2023; 41(3): 1299-1308.

Brown RG. Smoothing, forecasting and prediction of discrete time series. Courier Corporation; 2004.

Holt CC. Forecasting seasonals and trends by exponentially weighted moving averages. International journal of forecasting. 2004;20(1):5-10.

Box GE, Jenkins GM, Reinsel GC, Ljung GM. Time series analysis: forecasting and control. John Wiley & Sons; 2015.

Makridakis S, Wheelwright SC, Hyndman RJ. Forecasting methods and applications. John wiley & sons; 2008.

De Livera AM. Automatic forecasting with a modified exponential smoothing state space framework. Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers. 2010;10(10):6.

De Livera AM, Hyndman RJ, Snyder RD. Forecasting time series with complex seasonal patterns using exponential smoothing. Journal of the American statistical association. 2011;106(496): 1513-27.